Friday, May 18, 2012

Beyond humbled...

Today was one of the days I have been dreading for a long time: S's fifth grade graduation and awards ceremony. I know that one doesn't need an award to demonstrate that they are indeed a good person...but it sure makes it seem easier. S is a great kid...I'm biased, I know. She has managed to come in second place to the same friend since the age of two. And she has cheered her friend on every year. There have been a few periods of disappointment and questioning, but she never discounted her friend's successes, not even once. As the final awards day of elementary school drew near, so did the dread of leaving that place with yet another second place finish. As a mother, it is maddening to have your child's teacher say, "She was so close, but _____ was a half point ahead of her"....every year. I know this makes me sound so selfish and needy. There are children there who get nothing, have no chance at a Word document certificate printed off ten minutes before the ceremony....nothing. Kids who would give anything to be recognized positively in ANY way.

So we walked into the gym, immediately approached by someone asking if we had brought our camera. We got a little excited, but quickly turned into our own dream crushers as we recalled ceremonies from the past. The children processed whith their white shirts and tan skirts and pants to "Landslide", which I was a bit hesitant about but still got teary. Two awards in, the Tim Fox Memorial Music Award winner was announced...our child. Shock and pride filled my chest and tears came quickly to my eyes. Her face was true shock, which was neat to see. She also received Good Citizen of the year in her particular class which is always wonderful to see. Several of her good friends received well-deserved awards, all shocked to hear their names called. What a great group of kids! She has been in such fine company. Finally the last award, the Sterchi School Award, was to be announced. It is the award that encompasses academics, citizenship, responsibility...and the staff votes for this one. We sat, starting to pack up our things, the boy ready to be done after and hur and a half. Luckily the hub was still recording. I lifted my head to hear the principal cut off the student led drum roll and they said my child's name. Cheers erupted from the gym. She got up, shocked again. I cried, luckily not the ugly cry. As a parent who has seen my child so enthusiastically and genuinely cheer for her friends, it was truly a holy moment to hear the cheering and enthusiasm finally be for her. I am still floating on a cloud, twelve hours later. Do I feel guilty for for bragging? Yes. But I will get over it for a bit. That child is something else...and I am glad she knows other people think that about her.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

1 comment:

  1. Many congratulations to your strong, hard-working, beautiful-inside&out daughter!
    Oops! Forgot smart and talented! Hey, if you can't brag when you kid shines so brightly, when can you?

    ReplyDelete