Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Roid rage Roid rage!

I really believe our family has stepped into the Twilight Zone. I expect to hear not only Rod Serling and his trademark music, but also Golden Earring singing their 80's classic. We have had the Winter/Spring of weird maladies. The hub and his horrible back problems, the boy and his ears and adenoid surgery, S and her cracked nose and concussion episode of last week. Today was no exception. I got a call from school at 8:50am, which is never a really great sign. "Your daughter has a rash on her cheek and neck and it is itchy. I thought you might want to look at it." "I'll be right there.". I loaded up the boy and a tube of Benadryl cream and went to school. When I got there, this is what I found:



The white stuff is the cream. I applied it, checked that she had no fever and sent her back to class with the idea that she would check in at lunchtime. Apparently during the waiting period, it became angrier looking so I got her. Because our pediatrician's office is a puzzling place with inexplicable motives, they refused to see her when I said I didn't feel it was Fifth's Disease or Impetigo. The school wanted a little more explanation about what it might be, so refusal from the ped's office led us to the Walgreen's Take Care Clinic. Sigh. We have seen some very nice NP's there and a couple duds. We got one of the duds today. When she looked at G's cheek for a little bit, then under a light, then with some sort of magnifying glass, she made a noise and then started looking in a book. "Do it look like anything familiar to you.". Next followed a snigger and a very sarcastic, "How would I know?". She then decided to prescribe a steroid pack for "contact dermatitis" which took FOR-EVER! G and the boy were on the verge of such severe boredom, that I was worried it would get ugly in that little exam room. The NP asked if they wanted to color and this is the crayon container she gave them:



Glad to know they spared no expense...I just hope it wasn't recycled from a former patient. As my friend Vic said, "Just tell the kids to avoid the 'maize' color.". Ewww!

So, if you hear any reports of a 7 year old with 'roid rage, it is a possibility she could be mine. Hopefully she'll wake up tomorrow smooth cheeked and peppy. Fingers crossed.
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment