Monday, May 28, 2012

Listen to directions...especially from the zoo lady

Today was a scorcher. I know, get used to it. After doing the unfun, chore-y kind of things, the younger two and I ventured out into the heat. First stop, the cemetery. I know a lot of people get creeped out by going there, but I don't. My grandparents and great aunt are there and every year we put flowers on their graves. I love being able to tell the kids their Great Aunt Edrie was in the Navy during WWII, that she was a trailblazer. We said a prayer for all of them, shed a few tears, cleaned off some markers that needed a little help and talked about the different veterans we saw buried in our little area. After we lost a pound each due to sweat, we got back in the car and made our way to the park.

Every Memorial Day, our little area of town has a celebration complete with bands, food, exhibitors, games and reenactments. G and the boy wanted to do the jumpy thing where you get tied up and jump for about 3 minutes. After that, I took them on a horse and wagon ride. Sweetest horse ever...what a handsome guy:



After that, it was time to get something cold and go look at the exhibitors. Root beer floats with homemade ice cream seemed to hit the spot and relieve a bit of the heat stroke. The Zoo had a tent with some various reptiles and tiny mammals. When we arrived, the zoo employee had a little owl out and was readying herself for a presentation. The kids were of course entranced with the owl, but knew better than to get closer than was safe. From behind me, I heard someone approaching with great gusto. I believe, after seeing his mannerisms and hearing his voice, that he was in a special needs category of some sort. He was SO excited to see the owl, he powered in there and got behind the table. The zoo lady, in her most polite voice, asked him to get out from behind the table because "The owl is out!". He went to the end of the table, but that was it. You could tell this bothered zoo lady a bit, but she pressed on....one eye on the owl and one on the guy. He kept saying under his breath, "Gotta see that owl...gotta see that owl. Owl. Owl. Gotta see the owl.". He moved a little closer and the owl's wings fluttered a little. I kept a hand on mine and kept pulling them back, little by little. Zoo lady says, "The owl is getting freaked out, everybody just restrict your movements, please.". The guy moves closer to his desired behind the table position saying to himself, "Gotta see the owl. I wanna touch that owl.". When the zoo lady said a sharp, "SIR!", I knew it was time to go. I did not want the kids to bear witness to an owl attack whilst sipping on root beer floats.



The kids were glad to leave and get out of the heat. I was glad to avoid a traumatic childhood memory associated with birds. Happy Memorial Day, everybody!
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

1 comment:

  1. Please know that I am not in any way making fun of special needs people. I am saying that this man was in need of another adult to watch over him and keep him safe. He did not know what he was doing was unsafe. It was sweet to see him so excited about the owl.

    ReplyDelete