Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Well, nertz.

There has been a joke in recent months where I call myself "Jenny the Jinx". I don't watch the Okies play ball, because when I do they start messing up. Truthfully, I know I am not a jinx, but it really feels like it sometimes. Last night at our SS Christmas party, we were talking about our children and my oldest's problem with the bullies. Since I hadn't received any incident reports lately, I felt comfortable enough to report that things were pretty good. Well, Jenny the Jinx strikes again. The sad face and even sadder stories were right there on her face as I saw her doing her safety duties. When she got in the car, it all just poured out like a broken dam. She would go over to play with a group of girls they would turn their backs on her. She'd sit down on a swing with another group, they'd look at each other and all get up at the same time and leave her. The boys let her play World Cup Soccer with them, but no girlfriends to play with. I find myself questioning her as to her interactions with the other girls. Are you a goody goody? Do you get bossy? Do you talk about others behind their backs? What is wrong with me? I have asked these questions of her before. I know the answers. There is no reason for my actions. She is purposely being shunned, excluded, whatevered. It makes me so sick and angry. I tell her to toughen up, but I cannot continue with this line of parenting. She sits and takes it like a champ, is expected to suck it up while the other girls get away with it. The break cannot come soon enough for all of us. Please pray for wisdom for us as we try to deal with this in the least damaging way....such a difficult time.On a humorous note, while subbing at school today, several of my boys had to potty at the same time. One who was particularly wiggly and impatient told me, "At home I just pee in the garden all the time.". When I informed him that there was not a garden inside, he told me "I'll go find one.". Funny little guy. Have a good one, everybody. Margaret, the nertz was in your honor, :)

2 comments:

  1. Well, dang, shoot, rats!
    I told my sister (long time educator) about what your daughter is going through & she was outraged the school wasn't putting a stop to it. She said if their recess monitor saw that happen at their school the groups would loose their recess for a 1st offense & have to go through an empathy course. 2nd offense meant in school suspension + counseling & 3rd offense meant out of school suspension + removal from that school. But her school district had a suicide associated with bullying a few years ago & was sued, so they had to set some tough policies & show the court they would protect bullied kids.
    Looked at Amazon, loads of books about mean girls. Seems like it must be a nationwide epidemic.
    I'll keep your daughter in my prayers, know how much it hurts to be on the outside looking in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Margaret. I just don't understand why the administration and teacher are doing nothing. They can't get away with that, especially if you bring it to their attention. If they aren't going to do anything, go over their heads to the superintendent of schools. Seriously. Your daughter is too important.

    ReplyDelete