Saturday, July 18, 2015

Treasure filled Saturday

After a few housekeeping items this morning, I descended into the pit of despair and started the process of righting the wrongs of my neglect of the basement. By the time 1pm rolled around, I had dropped two boxes off to my brother's house, a trunk load to KARM and several boxes filled to go to a furniture ministry, a teacher and church. A flippin' drop in the bucket of disaster, but a full bucket starts with a single drop. I discovered several gems from yesteryear today. Here are a few for those of you who are not on Instagram or Twitter. I'm sure people think I'm even crazier than usual.



Here I was on the Drillfield at Virginia Tech with my next door neighbor in the dorm. My parents had dropped me off after a long weekend and brought our dog, Wendy, with them. My front teeth were still together, I was pretty slender and my hair was almost cool. Sigh.



Second grade was my first year in Tennessee. I had dark auburn hair the thickness of crab boat rope, couldn't understand anyone's accent and missed my friend Peggy...but now I couldn't think of a better place to have grown up. If only my hair had stayed that color. It lightened all by itself...and that is the sad truth.

The boy helped a lot during the day, and will get paid for his assistance. He found some treasures of his own. My favorite was a wig that he has pulled out every so often to entertain the family. It reemerged and his gain was ours as well. He kind of resembles an escaped mental patient, but we love him just the same.



To say that we lost our minds in hysterics is a grand understatement. I can't even. My friend ME said he was channeling his inner Harpo Marx. I get it.



We also found my Swatch watch collection from middle/highschool. I can remember saving every bit of my babysitting money to get these. The little black one was purchased on a family vacation to Europe. My parents saved for years for that trip and were so excited to give us the opportunity. That was my major purchase in Switzerland. I love the watch, but love my parents more and am so grateful for the opportunity they gave us that year. What a gift!

The next few days will be major pitching and tossing days for me. I covet your prayers as I remember that the memories are important and not necessarily the items that go with them. Here's hoping that this concept will make the process easier.

Night all.
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment