Saturday, December 8, 2012

Learning manners during the holidays

Our Christmas choir program is coming up on Sunday and Monday. Both my girls are singing in it, which is thrilling for them and for me. Because one of the performances is always televised, we all have our clothing requirements. G has to have black pants and, well dadburnit, she does not have any. So off to Target we went and luckily had success. In the shopping center next to Target is a brand new JoAnn's crafts. I had to go in to find some more swaddled baby Jesus colored felt for a project and the girls wanted to check out the new store. After we had our fill of rabid wreath buyers and cloth cutters, we took our place in line to purchase our treasures. While there, the pregnant lady in front of us was wrung with the cashier. Her voice was raised, her attitude was harsh and her face was cold. Her treatment of the cashier was enough to make my girls stare, mouths open in shock. They kept looking back at me, waiting for me to explain it away and I could not. I just shook my head. Why do the holidays bring out the worst in people? What does one gain with rudeness?

The girls and I made our purchase and left the store, ten footsteps behind the offender. I explained to them the old sayings about catching fewer flies with vinegar and how there was no call to speak to anyone with ugliness. We talked about that none of us are beer than others and said we have no right to put ourselves above anyone. We arrived at our vehicle to find it parked next to the ugly woman. She got her pregnant self into their truck and lit up a cigarette. I wanted to be judgemental and ugly. I wanted to make snarky comments, but then I realized that my learning opportunity for their learning would be destroyed. Oh how we are humbled ever second of every day.

After learning opportunities and soccer games that lasted for-ever, the kids are in bed and I am finally on the couch for a minute. We may even sample some frozen dairy delights...or I'll just go to sleep.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment