Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Possession in the church?

I love my son more than I ever thought I could love a little boy. He is the light of my life, the apple of my eye and the laughter in my funny bone. He thinks of things that the girls never thought to do. The girls saw a chair, he saw a launching pad. The girls see a Hot Wheel, he sees a projectile to propel across the house. He runs and jumps everywhere, whether it is in school in the car in the bathroom.... I love it and soak it in. If he wants to plant a big kiss on me, bring it on. Hold my hand walking down the street? Yes please! I just want to know one thing. Why is it that when we walk in through the doors of church, he completely becomes possessed? On Wednesday nights, he loses his ever loving mind. He propels himself off of walls. Runs at full speed, screaming past the prayer room. I know I've discussed this before, but I am flummoxed. Is he possessed? Do the demons sense he is in a good place so they make him crazy? Or is it that Pastor M is like human catnip for my son. He smack talks about beating her at HungryHungry Hippos...he even told her tonight that she was "going down!" whenever she came over to try to win the game. And Pastor D is also completely fascinating to him. The boy is interested in any adult who has guts enough to take carrots and tater tots off his dinner tray and challenge him to retaliate. He and Pastor D have a secret language of gang symbols that they flash at each other during church. Pastor J and the boy share a love of Cheetos and the finer things in life. What more could one ask for? This all may sound weird. The boy does get crazy on Wednesdays and I really wish I could figure out the key to calm him down. But, I am so grateful that he feels so comfortable in that place. I had great ministers growing up, but I would never have felt comfortable joking with them in this way. Honestly, I don't think they would have felt comfortable either. We are blessed with three pastors who are so good to our family. They love to go to church and I am so grateful for that...even if the place makes my son crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment