Thursday, January 12, 2012

Not gonna get much sleep tonight...

We have a dog. A great, crotchety old woman dog named Cosby. A yellow lab who will be 14 years old in April, Cosby is a funny and frustrating animal. She is a lot like my grandmother was in her final years, very routinized and disturbed when that is disrupted. When people come to stay with us and sleep in our TV room on the sleep sofa, she cannot stand to miss a thing. She gets up every 2 to 3 times a night and want to play, go out or be fed. My poor father, who has trouble sleeping anyway, takes the lion's share of the wake up calls when he is here. Tonight, she decided to to start barking as soon as the last light was clicked off downstairs. Pretzels did no good. A chicken flavored arthritis pill did no good. So next thing I know, Brian is carrying her up the stairs and my father is following with her bed. Dad is perfectly willing to deal with her, but we can't deal with her. So, the roaming lab is now up and down and circling and whining and sniffing and snoring all in the little space next to me. If you hear a cry of exasperation in the night, just snort, turn over and adjust your blankets. It is just me getting gassed by the dog as she turns around four times in a circle before she lays down for the seventeenth time on her bed. I, again, will be a delight tomorrow. Feel free to mock me...you might get quite a show. Have a good night. I'll be watching Nanny reruns or back to back Top Gear episodes on BBC America on Demand. That's how I roll.

1 comment:

  1. If Richard weren't married, I'd be on the other side of the pond stalking him. I could just eat him up he is so cute!

    ReplyDelete