Friday, February 20, 2015

Haircuts and warm hearts

The boy got two big wishes fulfilled today. First, after many weeks of waiting and shagginess, he finally got his mop cut. He may hit a time in his life when he wants to grow his hair out, but right now he is just short of buzz cut all the way around. He has to have enough to make it look spiky and crazy. Life at Jerry's Barbershop was entertaining as usual...it never disappoints. Between our snow/ice of the past week, sledding styles, the latest athlete arrests and college basketball, our ears were tired and amused. People will say just about anything in there. I noticed today that there are still people who don't get the concept that you speak nicely and politely to your barber. Do you really want the person who is cutting your hair to be insulteed by the words that come out of your mouth? I'm not going to roll those dice. After the boy lost what looked to be a good pound and a half of hair, we ran to feed and potty the dog and then made our way to fulfilling his second big wish today. When he crawled into bed with me this morning, he was all a chatter about movies coming out today. For quite a while now, he has been strongly suggesting we go see the movie "McFarland USA". Honestly I hadn't seen the previews so I didn't know what it was about. I knew Disney and Kevin Costner were involved, but that was about it. So when he snuggled up this morning, he said, "That movie, the one I want to see, comes out today." "Okay, son. That's great." I snoozed off I think. "Mom? It is rated for someone like me...." "Okay, son." A few minutes later. "Mom, the review I looked up said it was heartwarming. That sounds good, right?". "Yes, buddy, it does. Let's just rest a bit longer." Couldn't have been 5 minutes later, "Mom? I can go look up times on Fandango for you. It opens today." "Son? Can we rest for a bit longer? The mall won't open up for at last another 4-5 hours. And don't you want Dad to go?". "Welllll, uh, Dad night find the seats uncomfortable with his back. You know he may fall asleep since he works so hard...and the seats might be uncomfortable." Between hearing every review that a 7 year old can look up and the dog whiling to get out of her crate and have breakfast, I gave up and got up to start the day. After a fair amount of thought, I decided to go even though it was not playing at our favorite theatre. The kids were pleased that they got to lunch on popcorn and sprite while watching a movie. Let me just say this. For all his suggesting and hinting and sly begging, I was so pleasantl surprised by the movie. My only regret is that we didn't wait for the hub to go with us. It was a phenomenal film. I have always been a sucker for underdog sports movies based on true stories. This one did not disappoint. It was fine for the kids to watch and I didn't have to cover eyes or ears once. Go see it if you can. I absolutely loved it.


One last thing. I hope to someday rejuvenate snail mail before the post office goes completely under. The blog needs something new and I want a mailbag day. Just don't forget to drop a letter or postcard with a few words, a joke or a silly doodle. It would make my month!



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment