Thursday, February 5, 2015

Denied...again!

There was a little glimmer, a tiny inkling of hope that we might see a few flakes of snow when we woke from our slumber this morning. The roads had all been treated as they were wearing the patterned lines of the brining trucks. The teachers at school were prepping the children on the proper superstitious rituals to be followed in order to ensure snow:

1. Wear your pj's inside out and backwards.
2. Put ice cubes in the toilets.
3. Do a snow dance in the yard.
4. Put spoons under your pillow.
5. Put white crayons in the freezer.

All of these rituals were followed by the boy. He set to work on his list as soon as he got home from school. G helped with the placement of ice cubes. I sat thinking that we were already weather challenged because the brining had jinxed all the possibilities...but even I had hopes and thought about putting the evaporated milk in the fridge to ready it for snow cream. But I didn't. At bedtime, the boy came down to show me his pajamas being worn in the appropriate style for snow coaxing. He was fired up.

6:03am this morning. It was 40 degrees and we didn't need to state the obvious state of our city from a weather perspective. I went to wake up the children. "Good morning!". Groaning...lots of groaning. "I hate to tell you that not a flake of snow has fallen. I am so sorry." The boy woke up, saw that his sister had not followed the wardrobe rules for pajama wearing and yelled, "I told you to do it! I told you!". "Uh, buddy. Your sister's choice to not wear her pj's inside out and backwards did not ruin the snow chances. The 40 degrees ruined it." All I have to say is I am glad that the boy got the most popular substitute who gives out bubble gum. He was a joy and a delight this morning. That sub deserved double pay with a classroom of disappointed kids.

Here's hoping we get some snow soon. If only our excessive rain and bursts of crazy cold would come together like the chocolate and peanut butter in a Reese Cup. There would be children cheering everywhere. Night all.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

1 comment:

  1. Wow. Never heard of any of those rituals. I guess around here we don't have to try so hard. But I'll wear my jammies inside out if that will make it warm up!

    ReplyDelete