Thursday, September 12, 2013

Middle school merriment

Today was a busy day. I had a work meeting(story of my life), laundry, cleaning and baking all before school pickup time. S's school soccer team had a game way out west and we had to get things done lickety split. We also had the bonus of having two extra girls with us. I decided to get myself extra organized with labeled bags and a snack line they could choose their own food and have it to take with them after they changed into their uniforms. I made brownies and krispie treats and had fresh fruits to choose from. I ate some sort of homemaking Wheaties this morning. I had the three players plus two more crazies in the back and we made our way through heavy afternoon traffic to the fields. I got a good parking space. Everything went fine. Of course, this was the time the boy decided he had to go to the bathroom and grabbed an empty coke bottle. The car cleared out really fast. Hopefully one of S's friends who is not used to little brothers is not irrevocably damaged from that. Then a random mom in the parking lot, who had been watching us file out and prepare ourselves for the evening, came over and informed us that a flash storm had come through earlier. The fields were closed. Wha-what?? More of the team arrived in time to hear the news. My girls were bummed they weren't going to play, especially after they got so pumped up in the atmosphere of our car, what with my playing Jim Croce songs the whole way there. I'm sure that was it. Cough cough. So, we loaded them all back into the car. This time we traveled back in lots of heavy going home traffic. I had mercy on the girls and turned the station to XM's broadcast of Ryan Seacrest's station. Lots of current hits. No Leroy Brown. The car united as one chorus singing Justin Timberlake's "Mirrors". I got a glimpse of slumber parties and craziness to come. Clapping and singing and dancing. And they didn't tell me I had to stop singing. It was a win-win. There'll be plenty more soccer games. But they'll only singing top 40 hits with you for so long...


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment