Wednesday, September 11, 2013

I need to grow up

The other night, I was having a discussion about school with my oldest. I have often wondered what kind of discipline methods they have in middle school that they may not have in elementary school. Luckily for her, she is in honors classes and there aren't quite as many issues in those classes. But they still exist. So, do they get written up? Do they get sent to the principal's office? They certainly do not get paddled like they did in my middle school. That would equal instant lawsuit these days. When I asked S what they do when you act up in class, she said, "They put you in the box." WHAT?!?! I tried to understand what "the box" was. "Is it like a real box? How is that acceptable." "No, mom." "Is it like a masking taped box on the floor?". "No, mom." Insert eye roll here. As she described it to me, I realized it sounded like a "carrel" like we had in the library at school. A desktop, chair and walls on three sides. But at that point, I could only think of Clifton James' character in "Cool Hank Luke".



"Last bell is at eight. Any man not in his bunk at eight spends the night in the box." Everything resulted in a night in the box. Sooo...I started applying it to middle school. "Tardy bell is at 8:30. Anyone not in their seat at 8:30 gets a seat in the box." "Stick bag has to come to band class. Anyone who forgets their stick bag gets a seat in the box." "No tank tops or hats allowed in the school. Anyone wearing tank tops or hats in the school spends the day in the box." My child was not amused. Maybe if she had seen the movie. I showed her the boiled egg scene. She can see the whole thing when she's a bit older. Every self respecting movie lover needs to know plenty of Paul Newman. Throw some George Kennedy in there too. Anyone who doesn't see a Paul Newman movie gets a night in the box.

And the girl continues to roll her eyes and shake her head. Oh well.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment