Monday, November 5, 2012

Ah, I am taken back to days of Southfork

Tonight was S's first band concert. It was the most excellent thing, thus far, about middle school in my opinion. I am a BIG band girl from long ago. A big nerd, I know. A saxophone player, I was, inspired by my brother's "An Introduction to Melody" record that we played on a loop for days on end. Did anyone else have it?



When "Old MacDonald Had a Band" came on and it turned out he had a sax in his band? I just, I can't. That little tiny dirty sax part was enough to turn me against playing any other instrument in the band....ever. I did not play a tenor as shown on the album cover. I instead started on the alto and moved to the baritone. I loved every moment of it. Even when I wanted to drop from marching band exhaustion or cry because the pit band music for "The Wiz" was tremendously difficult, I loved it. So it was a misty evening for me seeing her back there with her buddy, D, and all the other eager kids. They haven't had their instruments that long, so they have learned just basic basics. But it was so stinkin' cute. I remember in my first band concert, we played the theme to "Dallas". JR Ewing himself might have been driven to turn his life around after hearing some of the cacophony brought forth in the gym that evening, but it was a precious sound to my parents' ears just as tonight's sounds were precious to mine.

I so look forward to the days and weeks ahead as she learns new things and finds even more enjoyment as her skills grow. Maybe, if she's lucky, she can play Toto's "Africa" in 8th grade like her Uncle Mike did. It was fantastic! A mom can dream....
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

1 comment:

  1. Bari's Rock!! Though definitely rough on the neck for marching. I used a wood block under it during symphonic.

    Back in 5th, I chose Sax cause my mom wouldn't let me play Trombone, thought I would hit my sisters with it(I might have!).

    ReplyDelete