Friday, July 25, 2014

Very proud

Today we went to go watch our oldest perform with the high school band as they presented the first parts of their halftime program for the fall. I was a complete band nerd in school, so this is a very exciting time for me. Because she is yet to be in high school, she is in the front ensemble playing the vibraphone and bells and cymbals. She has been practicing with the band since June, being the little fairy mascot of the percussion section. Being a saxophone player and the sister of a percussionist, I knew she would get quite the education when it came to the crass and off color. New terms and words bear repeating until they are used in a somehwat proper way, I think, and this is credo of many middle and high school boys. There are a few terms, after looking them up in the Urban Dictionary, that have made me sit down and catch my breath. She is a baby! She shouldn't know these things. But, alas, she does and the genie has been released fromthe bottle. She has returned each evening with vim and vigor and excitement for the things she is learning. It is so fun to watch. So when the family went down to the high school parking lot to watch the first showing of their effort, I was unsure what to expect. I know she knows 75% of the slang for the male anatomy, ugh, but I was interested to see how much music she could play. I was pleasantly surprised at how she could pretty enthusiastically whomp on her instruments and how she sounded really good. It was exciting to see and exciting to think about how much fun is in her future. I cannot wait to see what else she learns...just no more sexual terms or filthy definitions of her name. This momma can only take so much without resorting to the hard stuff.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

1 comment:

  1. Ahh, memories. What remember most about my 1st band camp: the people who passed out, being made to keep marching during a long downpour, learning 8 to 5 roll step, and having upperclassmen actually talk with me.

    ReplyDelete