Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Home at last

The birthday boy is home, praise The Lord!! I have talked about this before when S was in the hospital for a long stay, but going home is a blessing and concern for me. Dorothy was right, there really is no place like home. BUT, when you or your family member have been at a very vulnerable place of sickness and fear and worry, the hospital staff become like a part of your family. Last night, our nurse did a little dance for B when he reached a new milestone and remembered that he liked chocolate ice cream. She brought him some to get the bad medicine taste out of his mouth. When I was in the hospital with a bug bite gone horribly wrong, the kind nurse brushed my hair...after he brought me an extra yogurt. They see you when you've been crying from pain or loopy from happy juice or angry from incredible pain. Sure, there's always someone who gets nasty, but they are usually few and far between. When I knocked the side mirror of a poorly parked and unattended van in the patient drop off and discharge zone this morning and the valet rushed to make sure I gave him my insurance information(which I would have done anyway though he treated me like a criminal), B's nurse, Patty, came over and hugged me. She told me that the van owners should be ashamed to call since it was in such disrepair and there was no harm done. She hugged me tighter and said my eyes were already heavy enough with exhaustion and crying would only make them swollen. She made me laugh and cry again and was so very kind to the both of us. So while I am happy to be home, I worry about being kicked out of the spine hospital nest with a husband who need so much assistance and I want to help him the best I can. He is doing fine. Walking around and obeying his instructions. He had some spaghetti, ate a piece of his birthday cake, opened some presents and conked out in a fog of meds and exhaustion. Tomorrow is a new day and healing has begun. We are a fortunate bunch.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment