Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Pancakes everywhere

Today is Shrove Tuesday and, as is tradition, we had a pancake supper at church with a family Lent event after. I always find people and their pancake eating habits quite fascinating. Maybe not their eating habits as much as their pancake preparation habits quite interesting. There were many pancake toppings to be added depending on your tastes: strawberry, blueberry, syrup, butter, bananas Foster and whipped cream and then sausage links as well. Some people had their toppings on the side, forming a pool in which they dunked chunks of pancake. I always, per my mother's instructions, always took a portion of butter on my plate and then took from that butter to take care of all the pancakes once I got to the table. Some people buttered both sides of their pancakes right there before getting toppings. Then there was the drown my pancakes in one particular topping or stack one pancake, one topping, next pancake, next topping lather rinse repeat. I found my son roliing his sausage link in his pancake. Cheaper than buying a box of Jimmy Dean's version.

As much as I love pancakes, that is not what this night was about. It was a preparation for Lent, a time to learn about the season. I'm grateful for this time of reflection and preparation for Easter...and the pancakes didn't hurt either.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment