Monday, March 24, 2014

Are those children or zombies in the backseat?

I am a mean and horrible mother, but as my friend Judy told me once, "Mean mommas make good children." I sure hope so. After a weekend of sleepovers and swimming opportunities and soccer and washing lots of dishes at Community Meal, the children were dragging. Dragging in such a way that I, Cruella DaMom, made them go to bed at 8:00...I have some nerve. The boy didn't put up any kind of a fight. Just a heavy sigh, a removal of his little glasses, the grabbing of Mikey the Monkey and he was out. The girls were at the point of such exhaustion that they were angry for the lights to go out. They had been stripped of all electronics, not out of punishment, but to lessen the temptation to stay awake. I caught one under the covers making rubber band bracelets by flashlight. Busted and ticked off, she finally caved and commenced to almost drooly sleep in a matter of maybe two minutes. The 6am wake up was cruel and unusual punishment for all of us, except for the hub who gets up at 5:30 every morning and was probably laughing under his beard at our haggard appearances. The wake up call had to be repeated several times and they finally rolled out of the bed with loud groans and long faces. The boy, at one point, had everything but his shoes on backwards. One of the girls took almost 10 minutes to tie her shoes. They ate, fed the dog, stared at their feet. Even the dog was a bit loopy. She sat next to the heater, head propped on S's shoe with a look of "Don't touch me lady...you woke me up". They loaded up in the car, well two of them did. I honestly think G fell asleep standing up with her hand on the door latch. Her big sister said, "Mom! G is still outside the car!". Our ride to drop the youngers off was silent and I was convinced I had maybe still left G outside the car. I looked in the rear view mirror and saw three blank faces, hungover in a sense from a Spring Break disrupted sleep pattern. The zombies from the Spring Break Dead were in my backseat...sans the creepy moaning sounds and rotting flesh.

They returned home with lots and LOTS of news from school and their friends, though still very tired. I aimed for an 8pm bedtime tonight, but only the boy got close: 8:15. He's a sleeper, that one. The hub had to give a "Turn the light off and stop making bracelets or scrapbooking or couponing" or whatever they were doing kind of warning. Lather rinse repeat...we'll go through it all again tomorrow. I'm one grateful mean mom.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment