Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Pain, suffering, and renewal

Guest post by the dear hub...

So, I am sure the blogmistress has probably hit on the chronicle of my back pain, the stresses it puts on the family and the day to day status my back seems to take. I know it and I sure wish there was an "Easy" pill to make this back pain all go away. Trust me, I spend my days in "prevent defense" trying to ensure I don't make my back worst or cause aggrevation. I have done a good job since November's steriod injection to keep may back "tolerable" and myself functional. So, here is my pain speak for "How is your back doing?" is the following:

OK- I am functional, but not pain free. I can tolerate the episodes of pain.
Not good - I am functional, some persistent pain, but the show must go on.
Bad - I am mentally searching for a "happy place" to mask moderate pain. I will likely sneak away when the pain makes me angry and lay down.
(I don't want to talk about it) - I am present, but the pain is significant. If I wince in pain, or sit or stand to relieve the pain, please don't think I am angry at you.

Where am I on the pain scale? Prior to Friday, the last 3.5 months I have averaged "OK." Friday was the first practice of the season, and I am a committed dad and continue to coach soccer. Sunday I was at the "Bad" point and today, I am at the "Not good." I am now at a cross roads: Do I give up coaching soccer and other activities? Or do I live life and expect more pain and possible surgery sooner rather than later? This is the line of questions I ask myself as I yo-yo through the pain cycle and associated suffering.

Tonight, we attended Ash Wednesday services. S was a little upset as there is a lady who attends church that suffers from some form of mental illness. She sat in the pew rocking back and forth talking to herself. S has struggled with typical middle school issues, and had a bout with mono in 2013. I leaned other and whispered: Everyone is fighting their own tough fight. Some fights are more visible than others. Be Kind.

Pain has taught me patience, kindness, and empathy. There are times when I would trade pains with others, but tonight i realize that this is part of my journey through life. If you are suffering, you are not alone. I pray that you find renewal, freedom from suffering, and a new beginning.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

1 comment:

  1. That, B, was beautifully said. What a wonderful example you are for your family and community. Don't forget to take care of yourself sometimes. I'll keep you on my prayer list.

    ReplyDelete