Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Wasabi with you?

So today was the day. The hub turned 40. He wanted nothing to do with this day. I understand the feeling. I was there last year. Unfortunately for him, I took to the Twitter and made sure his friends were informed and ready to help give him well wishes. I also told his best friend at work who was sure to snatch a wheelchair from the company nurse to assist him during his walk today. See, these are the kinds of people I am glad to have around. Another friend sent a thoughtful text concerned that he may not be able to coach soccer anymore having now graduated from the U39 division. These are the things we have to worry about now. :0)

He chose, after consulting with our fire phobic G, to go to Wasabi and have dinner and a show with lots of fire and steam. Unfortunately for us, we got the "chef" who simply showed up to work today...and that was it. He didn't try to catch anything in his hat, only threw a few rice balls and had no gag ketchup bottles. A shame really. Our table company was a little more exciting. Maybe eccentric might be a better term. The people who were seated next to the boy were a father daughter combo. She wore her headphones the entire time and wrote in her journal. The chef would throw the veggies on the flattop, she would observe and then write furiously. Then she would eat a bite with her chopsticks, have her father refill her shrimp sauce cup for, no joke, the tenth time, and then furiously write again. And maybe draw a picture. Finally the boy, having just learned the word but pronouncing it incorrectly, said, "Maybe she's recording this meal for 'prosterity'". I managed not to blow fried rice everywhere and maintained a level of composure that I was even impressed with. Finally, the bulk of our table was gone and I was trying to label the to go boxes, get my purse together and guide G through the flaming tables of culinary death before she curled up into the fetal position. We were quickly replaced with what looked like half of the Vol football team, ready to get their hibachi on.

The hub then opened his presents and homemade cards, ate a horrible chocolate pound cake experiment of a birthday cake. Note to self, stick with the tried and true recipes and don't venture out on a big day, like today. He was kind and ate it, but it was awful. I am not a real chocolate fan anyway, so I am my worst critic. But it was gag ack barf. He is now lounging and flipping between various channels of sports. The life of the birthday boy...what a gift he is to me and to this family. Love that man...he is our rock.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

1 comment: