Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Reverse "Breaking Amish" potential

Tomorrow night we will have all of our heartbeats back under one roof. This has been an interesting summer vacation for sure. Having a child who is now considered a youth adds a strange and interesting twist to the activities we have to be aware of these days. I am certainly glad for her opportunities and for the fact that she is growing up and gaining more independence all the time. Part of her choir trip this week has been spent in Pennsylvania, some exploring our nation's history(Independence Hall, etc.) and some exploring a simpler way of living(Amish Country). I know she was excited about seeing Independence Hall since she is both a history lover and a "National Treasure" lover. When I went to PA as a kid and saw the Amish and learned about their way of life, I found it quite fascinating. I remember stopping in one of their stores and sampling various exotic Amish made jellies with little spoonfuls on oyster crackers. My brother and I were loving it! Then a few years later I saw "Witness" and learned that they apparently are a great place to heal and hide wounded police detectives...and suffocate and kill crooked ones. As technology-fied as our kids are these days, I was very interested to see how S and her friends would enjoy touring Amish country. I knew she would enjoy seeing the crafts they make, the beautiful quilts, the woodwork. But I had no idea of this...until she explained:



Somehow I think they might eat a bit more variety, but they do have tasty pretzels...no denying that.

I'll be happy to have everyone back in one place...even if it will take 5.789503 minutes for them to get on each others' nerves. They love hard and fight hard. Keeps things interesting for sure.
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment