Thursday, July 18, 2013

A short life fiercely lived...

Today a wonderfully large group of people came together to celebrate the life of sweet baby Drew Ballinger. No one will ever know how many people knew of his story, but by the size of the crowd, I can only imagine that each person there represented at least 30 people who couldn't be there, although I feel I am totally underestimating. From the heartbreaking video montages and photos to the moving tribute from one of his NICU nurses, you didn't have to know much about the situation to understand the impact. The boy and I sat with one of his beloved teachers. He sat so still, a picture of good manners and not because I read the riot act before we got there. After an appropriate amount of time, I let him take one of the children's papers where he drew a picture of the Ballinger family, including Drew and his very prominent belly button, holding hands under a rainbow. He felt this picture was one that gave him comfort and wanted to share it with them. After the service I went downstairs with some of the other Children's Ministry people where we invited the children to come down, have a snack supper of dinosaur chicken nuggets, fruit and Oreos, and participate in some activities to help them pray for and remember the family and Drew. Once they were picked up, we took our place in line for the receiving of friends. The boy took his job very seriously, stuck out his hand and introduced himself to every family member, even the ones who already know him well. I cannot imagine how tired they must have been, but they stayed until every visitor had been received and every last hug had been squeezed.

My girls return home tomorrow from their mission trip and camp experiences of the week. After the service and the pictures and the time with the family, it is almost painful to think about waiting a few more hours to have them home in my arms. I will not take time with them for granted and I will try to take every possible opportunity to tell them I love them. A fitting tribute to a warrior who fiercely fought to live and now lives restored in a heavenly body. Heartbreakingly beautiful.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment