Sunday, July 21, 2013

Give it up, let it go, throw it down

Just prepare yourselves.  Sister Jenny is starting her Sunday evening sermon...pitiful as it is.  Moses is one of my favorite people in the Bible....right after Samson.  I learned a children's song about Samson when I was little and it has always been a story that stuck with me.  Weakness caused by a bad haircut...most ladies can relate.  But I love Moses.  I love his imperfection and his style.  And as people growing up in modern times, we have many faces to think about when we talk about him, whether we think of the "Ten Commandments" Charlton Heston Moses or the "Prince of Egypt" chiseled and angular cartoon Moses.  Cecil B. DeMille or DreamWorks...take your pick.  Today in church we talked about how Moses got a talking to by his father in law, Jethro.  Moses learned how to delegate, select other like minded people to work with the people and to let go of some things.  The fact we can't do it all and do it effectively without cost to us personally is a book all of us could take a page from and learn quickly.  It is so easy to do and so costly when done. 

I've talked about this song before, I think.  Makes me get teary every time.  The beginning because it is rather silly and the end because it cuts to the quick of what is important.  When I was in high school, our youth choir sang this song by Ken Medema.  He is kind of one of my musical heroes.  Blind from birth, he is an amazing pianist and composer.  I remember snickering, along with my choir friends, about some of the words at the beginning of his song, "Moses".  It seemed a bit dated, well, in the super modern late 1980's, cough cough.  But when we got to the end of the song, it is a message that has stayed with me for 25 years.  Please listen to the whole thing, if you can.  If for no other reason, marvel at his mad piano skills. 
When I think of the things in my life that have me paralyzed with fear or worry or lack of confidence in my own skills, I try to remember: "Give it up, let it go, throw it down."  Gets me every time.

No comments:

Post a Comment