Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Spinning away.....

Butterfly update time, everybody. When last I updated you, I had experienced a less than ideal caterpillar transplanting process last Tuesday. Lacking directions and patience, I had been on hold for excessive amounts of time with the company until I was faxed directions even Superman with his laser vision couldn't have found legible. Using a paint brush, I shook and smashed those poor things into their communion cup sized homes full of baby oatmeal. Neurological damage must have occured and the probability of flying impairment is quite high. Sorry, church kids. Blame the drunk butterflies on me.

Today I went to check on them and found them all tripled in size and attached to either the sides or tops of their cups. Wispy strands of floss are starting to surround them as they build their chrysalis homes and prepare themselves to emerge in all of their painted lady glory. It is an amazing thing to watch such a small creatures engineer such a complex dwelling, sealing themselves carefully away to transform into something so delicate and beautiful that it seems almost impossible. I mean, not to be gross, but when they arrive they are about the size and shape of jimmies one would put on their ice cream. Enjoy that visual the next time you dip up some Moose Tracks, people. Nom nom.






My paint program is acting up, but you get the gist. I cannot stop staring at them and I'm afraid this will scar them and give them nightmares as they are spinning. Guess I'd better stop or it might be a really interesting release come Easter morning. Get you Nikons ready, folks.
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment