Sunday, March 24, 2013

Forcing Hee Haw on my children

Sunday numero dos for watching Hee Haw, only this time the kids watched with me. Let me say up front, watching it fresh after watching ParaNorman was probably not the best move. Season one of Hee Haw, circa 1969, compared to stop motion animation funy kids movie...insert sad trombone music here. Their first comment was, "Why is that doctor smoking a cigar?". I tried to tell them to look beyond the cigar and listen to the funny songs. I did get a smile after this one:






They liked the "Psssfffttt you was gone...". I know that a large majority of my three readers are carefully considering dropping this blog as reading material. I come from country redneck stock, I love it.

It was a nice, lighthearted ending to a pretty okay day. The kids and I went for the "tomb emptyinhis afternoon after church. Every Lent, our church does "Kids Cans for Christ". The church sets a goal to collect cans for the Fountain CIty Ministry Center, which provides food bags and other services for needy families in our area. In the narthex of our church, there are some small alcoves. A "tomb" fron has been constructed out of 2x4's, burlap and other materials. Each Sunday, the children take a wagon around the church and collect the cans that have been placed in the collection boxes. They then deliver the cans and place them in the tomb. Each Palm Sunday, we empty the tomb of cans and deliver them. Easter Sunday arrives, families arrive to find the tomb empty. The cans have gone to their destination to do their job. This year is the second year it has been made into a bit of a competition, with the winning Sunday School class getting a class trophy for the most items donated. Our church goal this year was 3,000 cans. Our small group packed and delivered cans for two hours, but we felt so happy about all the families who would be benefitting from the cans.

So Hosanna, can collection and Hee Haw. I'd call that a well-rounded day.
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment