Saturday, March 23, 2013

Lots of questions and a dopey kid

First off, let me apologize for the weird state of last night's entry. I was writing it on my iphone and it made strange symbols between sentences. I could not see those on the tiny little screen. When I become a bit more lucid, I will carefully try to remove all of those.

Today was just kind of foggy and odd. We got up 7ish, which was way too early seeing as how I think I went to sleep at 2:30. The hub got G and F ready for a morning of soccer and I got S an appointment at the pediatrician's office. We were greeted by our favorite nurse and the doctor, who we rarely get to see anymore. She basically said we need to carry the epi pen around for the next 6-9months and make an appointment with the allergist first thing Monday morning. While she didn't see S in her distressed state last night, she has to believe that an allergic reaction was present, but she also felt that panic and anxiety from breathing distress probably didn't help. The whole situation is just terrifying to me because we have no idea what caused this severe episode. None whatsoever. So, when will it happen again? Will we be there to help her? We've been told the reaction will be more severe next time. Today finds her dopey from the Benadryl she takes for being so itchy and angry and short tempered from the steroids she is taking to help swelling to stop. What a mess! I will say that in the midst of all the worry and fear, that child was cracking us up. She got so tickled about the weirdest things, was sure a fire sprinkler on the ceiling was a unicorn and yelled out a request to Pastor Melissa to please bring her some milk. She was conversing with her popsicle and calling the throw up dish a "wiener bowl". It was bizarre, but it broke the tension a little.

I just ask for your prayers as we investigate this mystery and attempt to solve it. Prayers for S that she can not be so fearful. Watching a DVD about how to inject oneself with an epi pen is a bit unnerving. She is scared that last night will repeat itself an no one can help her. Typical 11 year old worries.

Just know that if you ever spend time with her in the hospital when she's been medicated, bring some popcorn. You'll be in for a show. I'll be passed out in the corner from stress and shock.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

1 comment: