Saturday, July 14, 2012

The secret lives of grocery shoppers

Have you ever looked into the grocery cart of the person in front of you in line? I sure have and I have had lots of questions. Some people I even thought about stalking, just a little bit, to see what on earth is going on in their life. About a year ago I got behind two men in line at Kroger. They had two carts, one full of milk and one full of self-rising flour. Were they going to a huge fish fry? Can you even fry fish with just those two things? The hub went to the store not long ago to find a lady with a cart full of frozen corn. I mean, the possibilities are endless. Last week I went to my beloved Kroger to pick up some bacon and bananas(BLT's and fruit portion of dinner). A very impatient man kept interrupting my cashier to say he needed help at Customer Service. "Sir, I will be with you in a minute. Thank you for your patience.". He stormed off, heading back to CS to await her return. "He will not leave me alone, ma'am, and I am sorry. He's is going to take forever to deal with.". She gestured to his cart which was, again, full to the brim...with energy drinks of every shape and size. Does it not make your head spin to wonder what he would do with all of those Monster drinks? I've never understood the appeal: a tall boy can of something that tastes like liquified Centrum Silver(took one of my Dad's once) with a half cup of sugar added. Yuck. Clearly, at this time of the year, no one's going to blink twice at a cart full of watermelons...or a cart full of poinsettias at Christmas. Season appropriate purchase. These strange carts full of odd things or odd combinations, well, I start humming "One of these things is not like the other...". Thanks, Sesame Street.

Someone reading this might question what kind of life I have or if I have one at all. I've always been a people watcher. My dad and I still sit in public places and guess the careers and home life of the people we see. Just an interesting thing to do to pass the time. And, come on, you can't tell me that if you saw a person with a cart full of orange juice and pickles you wouldn't be just a little bit curious. I would.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment