Tuesday, July 24, 2012

School sticker shock

Well it's that time again, folks, where parents and kids journey to the superstores of the land and forage for wild prices on notebook paper and glue sticks. I made the decision that this year I am taking each child on their own trip to pick out their loot. This decision was not made lightly as that meant three different shopping trips...three more than is truly palatable for me. This here tomboy was born lacking the shopping gene, I'm sometimes sorry to say. Middle school shopping seemed to scream "Separate Trip!", so S and I went to the bullseye store to start buying. After an hour and a half, a cart FULL of supplies and the sinking feeling that my child is going to need Chiropractic care after hauling this stuff on her back, we went to check out. Trying to joke so I wouldn't cry at the thought of having a 6th grader, I told the frat daddy checking my items out, "If I were to keel over due to shock over my shopping total, just kick me in a corner and go on about your day.". I thought maybe he would say, "I'll kick you in the corner with the others" or "Just as long as you're not an OSHA hazard.". He really had no sense of humor, just an "I really hope you don't do that.". I then said, "I won't do that, but I will be weeping openly.". Nothing. Not a smile, smirk. Nothing. Just a "I really hope you don't do that.". Come on, Target team member, lighten up. We got out of there under a Benjamin, so I was happy.

At first I felt selfish for taking them on separate trips since I couldn't handle and organize all the different supplies. But I am glad I made the choice I did. We had good conversations about the start of school and hopes and fears for the new school year. We talked about the summer and friends and soccer. It was quality conversation. I realize that as the years go on these conversations will dwindle in number and length, so I will soak up this time and savor it like a fine piece of bacon, as the kids say. Love, life, binders and number two pencils.....doesn't get any better than that.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

2 comments:

  1. I think separate trips is a great idea! Even though I claim to be an organization lover, all three it once would be too much for me. In fact, three trips WOULD be my way of organizing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have the shopping gene either :) I also think it has turned out to be a really wonderful time of bonding for you and the kids. Who would have thought that shopping could do that?

    ReplyDelete