Thursday, July 12, 2012

Hairy situation

Let's talk about beards, friends. Well, we can lump all facial hair into it...that's fine. Our new senior minister is the talk of many because he has a very distinct, robust mustache. I had no idea how much conversation it would garner when he arrived. One older lady even made it her business to tell him he needed to trim it. Personally, I think it is pretty cool, but then I have grown up with a lot of bearded and mustachioed men. I don't get the big hubbub. My father has had a beard my entire life and was able to use that fact as a way to get me to straighten up if I was misbehaving. "Wow, this beard sure gets hot when I have to chase after you to get your room clean. Honey?! Where's my razor?". "Noooooo!!!!". I have seen my Dad's clean baby face in wedding pictures and snapshots from his youth. Handsome guy indeed, but that beard is a comfort to me. When my brother was old enough, the beard appeared on his face as well. Uncles, neighbors, teachers...lots of fuzzy faces. And, if we are being honest, some faces that should never attempt to grow hair ever. Some faces can't handle the hair.

I have seen lots of different beards recently. During the recent rainy days with my sick boy, we have watched several episodes of The Dog Whisperer. Cesar has a very manicured goatee, very metrosexual. Being a fan of symmetry, it makes me break into a cold sweat thinking of the time it must take to manicure that thing and make it even. Such pressure. At the grocery store tonight, I saw a man with a beard almost to his eyes. The shave line went so high, his beard was so heavy and his five o'clock shadow must get there at two. I have drawn, because I was bored, some of the beard styles spotted at the local Kroger self checkout this evening. Sorry...day seven of sick boy.



I could also tell you of my relative's regrettable pimp mustache and my friend's "Abe Lincoln" phase, but some things are just best to be buried and never spoken of again. If you are not a fan of the facial hair, go ahead and "Flick your Bic" and splash on some Aqua Velva. I'm good with that.
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment