Sunday, July 29, 2012

A little Sunday indulgence

I love old movies. I love black and white movies the best. The amazing amount of creativity used to show colorful things in colorless medium just blows my mind. The chocolate syrup used for blood going down the drain in "Psycho" always comes to mind. The elaborate sets, the dizzying camera angles...sheer perfection.

My brother called today and said that "The Third Man" was playing at the glorious historic Tennessee Theatre today and asked if I wanted to go. Everybody was invited, but he figured I was the only one who would really be interested. And he was right. So it was with a fair amount of guilt that I left the hub and the kids and went to see:



First of all, there is no more beautiful venue to see a movie or concert than the Tennessee Theatre. If you don't live here, google the place and look at it. As with most movies, Dr. Bill Snyder played several movie theme songs on the mighty Wurlitzer and ending with The Tennessee Waltz. Then came the movie...Joseph Cotton and Orson Welles in cinematic perfection. Even though Welles is in the movie a short period of time, he steals every scene. Just wonderful.



Cotton, as Holly Martins, is wonderful and quick as he searches to find who killed his friend. The supporting cast compliment each other so well. I have always been a fan of odd camera angles that add interest where words and music have no place. My favorite shot, and my brother's as well, is exactly what I love about this era of movie. No one today can come close.




- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment