Monday, June 11, 2012

Well bye-bye 30's

It has happened. Sigh. I haven't dealt with it well, I'll admit it. This, among other things, didn't help:



Thankfully, I do not look like this...yet. I did get a thoughtfully filled bag brimming with items useful for my station in life: Efferdent, liners in case of accidents, castor oil in case of back ups. I know you're saying, "Nice haul, Jenny. Nice haul.". What can I say? I've got connections. I baked some bread, got lots of nice calls and texts, took the kids to swimming lessons, watched Iron Man 2, had tasty dinner with my wonderful husband and children and had a nice long talk with my oldest friend, Sarah.

I did not go gentle into this fortieth year. While I am blessed beyond measure, I must admit that I am not what I thought I would be at 40. I thought I would be financially more helpful to the household. I thought I would be 100lbs lighter and playing in a field hockey league for grown ups, when my water polo and soccer careers finally went south. I thought I would have a freezer stocked with perfectly catalogued meals at the ready for any occasion, surprise guest or emergency meal for a friend in need. I thought I would be the premiere steam punk sock puppet artist to the rich and famous like the Coen Brothers and Wes Anderson. I thought that my dream of meeting both Weird Al and Gene Hackman(not necessarily at the same time)would have come true. But, alas, none of these have come to fruition. What I do have is this: a wonderful husband who loves me for me, three of the kindest and most caring children I only thought existed in dreams, friends who challenge and torture me each day, family who helps me weather all of life's storms and a God who made it all possible. Watch out 40...here I come.
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

1 comment:

  1. Happy Birthday!
    And congratulations on making it to 40 standing on your own two feet.
    But better than that is you & Brian have brought 3 people into this world and have led them to be the precious, caring people they are. That is an accomplishment more important than any money making enterprise. Shoot, it's more important than getting the Nobel prize.
    And that is not the only thing you are doing to leave a legacy. Try counting up all your activities involving children other than just your own.
    In the rat race of day to day being a wife, mother, daughter, sister, etc., it can be difficult to look further than bedtime, but many envy you and would give their right arm to have your life.

    ReplyDelete