Wednesday, June 27, 2012

My heart worries a bit

Today was camp drop off number two. G was so excited last night, she couldn't sleep. After a long day of waiting, we finally left on our almost hour journey.

When will we get there? This trip is taking so long...I wish I had a friend going with me. That's okay, I'll make new ones. Make sure you park in this lot, Mom. This is where they want you to park. I know, I've been here before. Take a breath, sweetie, just take a breath. Walking walking walking. Get to registration and I hear my name. My heart lifts and G's face beams at the discovery of a familiar face. Odds are good they'll be together, I think to myself. We make the trek back to the lot to get our luggage. We missed the golf cart luggage transport service, so we lug the bags up the long rocky hill to her lodge. As we approach I hear her breathing a little heavier, sweaty hand in mine, nervous with anticipation. On the porch stand four girls, arm in arm, having picture time together. Camp time with your besties! Smile! We climb the steps to the porch, sidling past the photo session, heading to see where she'll lay her head. We look around the common room and check out her new digs. She was in a different lodge last year and she wanted to tell me the differences. Heading back to her room, we meet the counselors and she goes to pick a bunk. My heart sinks a bit when I see the four besties in her room with one bunk left. She looks so young, so nervous. You have the best bunk of all, I whisper, on the bottom right next to the A/C vent. When it gets so hot,you'll be the coolest. Bonus! Looking at those big blue eyes and that freckled nose, I can't read her emotions. But I can read mine. I kiss and hug her a million times, tell her I love her, walk out and don't look back. My one relief is that the familiar faces are just across the common room in the boys' rooms. I make the lonely trek back to the car, my stomach sick with worry. Will they let her into their group? Will she make friends? Will the counselors help her? I can't worry anymore. She's there and I am here. She'll make it through life. She's much stronger than I give her credit for. I can't wait for Friday. To squeeze that sweet frame, kiss those freckled cheeks, to look into those beautiful blue eyes. She'll be fine. I'm the one who needs to get a grip.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment