Saturday, June 16, 2012

I wish I had read this at 5

I am a reader and have been since I was a young pup. The pleasure of getting lost in a book is a rarity these days, but I indulge whenever possible. Also, I have always been a fan of suspense and scary. I voraciously read Stephen King, Dean Koontz, James Patterson and any other similar book in college. I guess after having to read heavy psychological research for my major or Shakespeare and Dickens for my minor, simple but fun was what I needed. These days bring with them a plethora of books that satisfy one's need for the classics, a good dose of history and a scare to wake you up. "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies", "Abraham Lincoln: Zombie Hunter" and "Unholy Night" have taken weird classic creepiness to a whole new place. I mean, how could Jane Austen and zombies not go together like peanut butter and chocolate?

Well, my friends, I have found the book today that would have changed the direction of my life at five...if only I had found it then. The fam and I went to the insane close out store Ollie's today and found a children's book close out. Being a lover of children's literature, I was as excited as the kids were to see what they had. "Madeline" and generic books, all good, but not very satisfying. Then a gasp rose up from G and she said, "Oh, Mom! This book was written for you!". I was curious to see what this important literature was. Here you go:



Oh. My. Good. Grief. The world stopped turning, the sound left Ollie's. I had found my prize for the day. If you are wondering, "Jenny, is it really as good as it looks?", I can tell you, brothers and sisters, that it is excellent. I have a couple examples to show you.



Jane is innocently playing dress up and house with the vampire as her baby. A couple pages later, after Dick reveals himself as vampire's father, Jane's beloved vampire baby turns into a bat and flies away...leaving the siblings flummoxed as to the supernatural anomaly they had just witnessed.



Dick has obviously become used to Vampire as tame, moving him aside in the closet so as to complete his chores. The sad thing that we all know: just like with wild animals, when vampires get used to humans they become more familiar and more dangerous. Please, Dick and Jane, be so careful. Vampires don't mean to drain you of your lifeblood, but if you keep dressing him up and letting Spot bark at him, your story will not end well. I love this book. Love. Love. Love the book, Jane. Love the book, Dick. Love the book, Vampire.
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment