Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Growing excitement

I love a garden. There is nothing more satisfying than taking seeds or seedlings and growing them into tasty delights for the dinner table. When the hub and I were first married, we lived in a little house on big parcel of land. We grew a large garden and had the best fun harvesting the bounty. I called my more than thrilled grandmother and got canning advice. We put up all kinds of tomatoes and hot pepper jelly. We made zucchini bread, we dried hot peppers for chili and we enjoyed refreshing cukes and squash for dinner. When we moved to Knoxville, our first house did not have a yard that would support a garden. We mourned the loss of our own fresh veggies and couldn't wait for the day when we had a more appropriate yard. In our current house, we again struggled to find a good spot for planting. We have lots of woods and we needed to do some figuring to fit a garden in somewhere. This year we did it! We now have two square beds and one rectangle garden bed with room for an additional bed when we get time. I have planted an herb garden, a pepper garden, a mixed tomato/cuke/pepper garden and two 5 gallon drums with zucchini and yellow squash. Exciting, right?

Today I went out for my daily check of any progress. This, to the delight of my children and myself, is what I found:



The boy's addiction: baby tomatoes.



JalapeƱo peppers. I have also planted cayennes as well.



These are carrot ball seedlings. We found a strange type of carrot that grows into a one inch ball. The kids are the most excited about these.

As the granddaughter of a West Virginia farm girl, I find such satisfaction in the growing, harvesting and canning of fresh produce. It feels like such an accomplishment. So if I put up copious amounts of fresh produce, forgive me. I am just so excited and feel like my Granny is smiling down. It's a good feeling.
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

1 comment:

  1. Bless you for teaching your kids food doesn't just come from a store.

    ReplyDelete