Sunday, April 15, 2012

The eaglets have landed....

My family has a new obsession. We are obsessed with a family of eagles. Our favorite DJ's were talking about the family last week, but it took my parents' urging to find the website and WHABAM!! Hooked. I am amazed at the care these wild animal parents give their babies. Not that I thought they would be abusive, I just had no idea how tender the moment would be to watch the mom and dad feed each other and their babies. Even if it is a dead rodent's intestines. The instinct to parent is just that...instinct. The parents do what they have to do to take care of their children. The mom was sitting on the babies last night. It was storming and blowing and pouring the rain. Those babies were warm and dry...the parents were soaked. We do what we do.

Strangely connected is the Dateline NBC: My Kid Would Never Do That special on stranger danger we are currently watching. These children, who are the ages of mine, are put in situations to see if they will listen to what their parents have told them about getting away from and not talking to strangers. As parents, the instinct to protect our children, or any children, is strong. When I watched these kids give out their addresses or go into a stranger's ice cream truck, I cried right along with their parents. All the what if's that come to mind are overwhelming. Just like the eagles covering their babies, I want to cover my babies and protect them from all the bad stuff out there.

And this ends the strange and weird musings of the day. Go watch the eagle cam. Pop it into google. Pretty neat-o.



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment