Saturday, March 10, 2012

What a beautiful day

Two of my poor children drew the short straw today: they had to spend the day with me. Personally I think I'd be a pretty amusing prize and a sheer joy to spend the day with, but they don't completely concur with my sentiments. It is to be expected, I understand that. I get to be the homework nazi, the room cleaning drill sergeant and "Keep your hands to yourself" thug....and, yes, I have taken Parenting with Love and Logic. S and the hub went to soccer referee training this morning. Well, it was supposed to be for the morning. Apparently the girl showed such reffing promise that the instructor asked her to stay and take the second part...so she can be an Assistant Referee in her own age group and up. Now we have two referees in the house.

I felt bad that the two youngers had to stay with me, so what better way to make up for it? Take them to the bike shop. To find them new bikes. Epic-ish fail. I always forget to take their ages into account. What some might consider being ungrateful, I have to remember is more of an instant gratification situation. Deposits put down in order to secure that the bikes are ours once the UPS truck brings them to the shop, don't mean a lot to them. So I took the pedals and training wheels off the boy's bike and packed his and G's too small bike into the car. We then spent two hours at the soccer fields riding around the walks. Teaching the boy how to balance without wheels is an exercise in patience and foot/ankle protection. He'll get it.

B took the kids to Bruster's in their pj's to get free ice cream cones and to give mom a 20 minute mental health break. Whilst the brood was gone, I watched one of my favorite thrillers, Poltergeist. Still holds up even with CGI and buckets o' blood. It has one of my absolute favorite scenes in all of cinema. JoBeth Williams is having the rope tied around her waist by Craig T. Nelson in preparation to go retrieve her daughter from the "light". In a brief moment, the always beautiful music from John Williams swells in the background. The silhouettes of the couple are shown, expressing their love for what might be the last time.



Not the exact shot I wanted, but still....gets me every time. I love, love, love it. The funny thing is, when I googled the two actors names in hope to find this picture, what came up was completely different. I got a good laugh for the day.




If you haven't seen Stir Crazy, you should. One of the best scenes in the whole movie. Have a good one...
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment