Tuesday, March 20, 2012

A new adventure

Today we went on a safari. An East Tennessee safari...and it was magnificent! We had viewed several YouTube videos people had posted with people driving through the property and feeding the animals. Of course there is always a video of a few morons who try to do stupid things to the animals, etc. We were a little worried about driving through and having our car get kicked or "antlered", so we were relieved to see that they offer a wagon ride option for a bit more. Thanks to recent consignment saling, I had some cash waiting for an opportunity like this. The people couldn't have been nicer. We paid for three buckets of feed and got six. We had the nicest driver/guide who instructed us whether the animal we were seeing was a "hand, bucket or throw on the ground" kind of eater. Our family favorite was:






All we had to do was put the feed on his tongue and the bison was a happy guy. What a massive beast! Loved it! The other exciting one to feed came with a warning that they bite so feed them first:



I would have gotten pictures of the ostriches, but they were very sketchy. After I saw one grab the entire bucket of feed out of our wagon mate's hands with its scary beak, I was not about to sacrifice my phone. The emus were nice enough, but those ostriches were intimidating. Too many viewings of the Dirty Jobs episode with the crazy birds.

I'm glad that the children were able to have this experience. I love finding hidden treasures in our area. This is a must see and a do again. I mean, bison tongues. Come on.
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment