Thursday, March 1, 2012

It's that time again...

What a beautiful day we were given today! The kids walked in the door, bypassed snack, changed their clothes and went straight out to play. We are so blessed to have a pretty cool backyard that holds more value than any DS or television program. While I have mourned the lack of cold and snow, I must admit that the long afternoons outside have been lovely. The great smell of my sweaty little guy, covered in mud and stained with grass and leftover monkey grass berries, makes me long for summer. The taste of Spring was in the air...and it was pretty sweet.

Soccer practices started for the kids tonight. As I have said before, a trip to the soccer fields is like visiting your church/neighborhood/school/grocery store all in one concentrated little place. Don't dress in anything you don't want discussed by someone, which is why I immediately regretted my "practice clothes" when I found a hole in the side of my sweat pants upon returning home. Take very seriously the call of "HEADS" when said in an enthusiastic way. Know that you can cause someone with their arms full of camp chairs serious harm if you leave your half empty bottle of Powerade on the sidelines...cough...cough...so I've heard. My kids seem their happiest on the field. They thrive in a teamwork environment, loving the quality time they get to spend with their friends. The confidence they gain is so important to me as a parent. I don't expect them to be playing for Man U someday, but I expect them to understand teamwork, do their best and learn to be gracious in both victory and defeat. This is why I have them play soccer. This is why the sting of our lack of snow is softened when I see the look of sheer joy as the run up and down that field. That and it wears...them...out. That is a beautiful thing....


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment