Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Warping them a little every day

When I was in middle school, I found that I learned to study best by repetition. Specifically, I made everything into flash cards OR I read the material into a tape recorder and kept it on a constant loop in the background. Scientifically and psychologically the recording was supposed to sink in, even when you weren't engaged in that particular subject. I played it all night long, like a weirdo, but it worked. The moms in my youth were scared of all kinds of satanic "backward masking". We were cautioned in our music choices. My brother and I heard a rumor about playing certain children's records backwards to find hidden messages. Listen, we went without any TV in our house for a good while...we got weird and creative.

So it is always kind of eeriecreepyfunny to me when CD's skip. The girls sometimes listen to Junie B., Bailey School Kids and Magic Tree House books on CD. When kids handle them, sometimes they get scratched and I never know which ones need to be retired. This evening after being downstairs with the hub, I decided to retire for the evening and walked upstairs. The CD had been skipping for a good ten minutes, but they were conked out. I wondered what their brains absorb during that time. I sure hope that a constantly skipping Junie B. Jones will not warp their brains permanently. If that is the worst I do, thank the good Lord.

On a completely different subject, the owner of Barkingham Palace on Tabatha Takes Over has crazy eyes. I'm sufficiently creeped out. Sorry for the random thought.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment