Monday, February 4, 2013

Lunch room politics

My sweet G was not feeling super duper today and made a trip to the clinic to try and get sent home. No fever, no home. To be fair, I went for a lunch time visit to find her reasonably fine, well as fine as one can be eating school pizza. I quickly realized the breakdown of the lunch room assignments for her class. She had unfortunately, though not purposely, had been placed at a table away from her two closest friends in the class. I watched as she looked at the other table, like Ralphie Parker with his nose pressed against the toy store window looking longingly at the Red Ryder BB Gun. It broke my heart, but I didn't feel I had any reason to have her moved. I did get a better understanding of the hierarchy of elementary school lunch table girls worked. Those at her table who volunteered to be helpers in the cafeteria, used their position and freedom to walk around to other tables and hurl insults at other girls. Normally I would just have to guess that was the activity going on merely by the shocked or upset faces of the other girls. These girls made it easy. They spoke at the height of their voices and reported back to the table their exploits with the other girls. Then I had my reason. I asked my child if she ever spoke at the lunch table..."No, I just concentrate on my eating....but if I were at that other table, the time sure would be happier." The steam started rising from my head as it almost popped off. Then it was time to go. Luckily for me, my girl got up her courage and asked for a table transfer(my words not hers). I'm proud of her courage to get away from the influence of the "cool kids"(their name for themselves). If being cool means being a cruel person to others, thank God my daughter is a run of the mill kid. The coolest I know.

On a lighter note, after school pick up, we went for a nice walk. Then the kids competed to see who was the best at jump roping endurance. The boy got high points for style.



Thank God for my geeky kids. They are the coolest kids I know.
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment