Monday, September 17, 2012

My dog is a nut...really.

Okay, people. I have established long ago that our dog is crazy. She's 14 and has every right to have her quirks. We have lost countless socks only to find them barfed up in the floor of the breakfast room...or horribly twisted and defiled in a steaming heap in the back yard. I have had the unglamorous job of pulling Swiffer XL sheets out of her rear end like Doug Henning pulling multicolored scarves out of his mouth. Too bad what I was doing wasn't "an il-LUS-ion". Yuck. So tonight, as we ate our dinner, Cosby decided she needed to visit the loo in our yard. Easy enough. It was a rare period of dry for the day, so we gladly let her out to have a little jaunt before the looming monsoons. One of her favorite things to do, besides eating-pooping-sleeping-attention seeking-chewing homework and cookbooks, is eating the various delights that come falling down from our trees. Hickory nuts are her favorite by far. We have cleaned up more nut piles than I care to recall. It came as no surprise, when I looked up from cheezit chicken, to look on to the patio and see her crowing down on nuts. "S, go get your dog inside and away from those blasted nuts.". As the dog is coming inside, she is scratching and pawing at her face. Well, that's not good. The pawing continues until one comes down bloody. The hub and I then decided it was time to get involved. G immediately covered her eyes and turned away. She does not handle pet adversity too well and was sent packing to put her dishes up and get a shower. S wanted to help, but it would have ended up in additional bloodletting. We sent her packing, too. It turned into B prying her mouth open, I had one leg over her back legs and one arm over her front legs. B located the issue and I stuck my hand in in picked out a hickory shell embedded in her gum. Cha-ching!! We saved $500 and a trip to the Animal ER.

Lesson learned for her? Are you kidding? Do you know how many socks she's eaten? Lesson learned for us? Maybe. Leash in use during nut season. Wack dog.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment