Friday, September 7, 2012

I need some lemonade...

Trip número dos to the ER for S and her head. Her home room teacher very dramatically called me from school to say that S had lost vision in her left eye and that I needed to get her immediately. Here we go again. So from 11:30 to 4:30 we were in some sort of waiting or exam room. Luckily I had the iPad so I could doodle. This was my most elaborate:



We saw a PA and an MD in the ER. At 2:30, the PA gave S a big shmear of peanut butter, a nutri grain bar, a pack of nabs and a cup full of individual graham cracker and saltine packs. She had not eaten since 6:50am, so she was attempting to eat the blood pressure cuff. This snack will cost us approximately $325, I am guessing...discounted since she is a frequent visitor. We then packed up and tromped over three hallways and an elevator ride to see the pediatric ophthalmologist. I love that office, all the bells and whistles and toys to get the best results from the little patients, but they have got to take down their graphic posters. This one makes me go running for one of those pink kidney shaped dishes every time:



Click and enlarge the picture at your own risk. I can't do it. They dilated her eyes and led us back out to the waiting room for a half hour wait until the drops worked. During this time I fell asleep briefly, only to wake myself up with a tiny snort. Guess I stole the thunder of the toddler screaming around the waiting room to the utter "delight" of the rest of us. Schooled you, 22 month old. When we were mercifully called back, the exam revealed healthy, uninjured eyes. She was much more farsighted than her glasses indicated, but nothing a new script can't fix. The diagnosis was a traumatic migraine, brought on by a blow to the head. The symptoms she had fit this more than a concussion, which is fine with me.

She is not playing in her game tomorrow and will be wrapped in bubble wrap and foam rubber when she returns. I have decided to consult with NASA about space travel quality materials that will be used to protect the heads and faces of goal keepers. Okay I'm not, but wouldn't that be cool?



I think I'm on to something...
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad to hear that things turned out okay!!! I will pray for her and that the migraine doesn't return.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 2 sports players that really ought to have some kind of helmet: soccer players (they are supposed to head the ball, right?) and baseball infielders, especially pitchers (see Angels' pitcher with skull fracture Wed.)

    Meantime, just have to up my prayers for S's guardian angel (G & F, too).

    ReplyDelete