Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Jenny's My Name...Embarrassing My Children Is My Game

As I have discussed in previous posts, I am slightly obsessed with all things ukulele. I have three and look someday to procure a fourth. I lack a Concert pitched one and feel the need, though there is no need, for one to complete my quartet. I have no affiliation with any ukulele group or teacher...no plans to make a career of making a living playing(although that would be fun)...no plans to take my show on the road. What I do have is a desire to learn how to play my favorite songs on one of the ukuleles and use that newfound knowledge to spark a love of the song with the kids. BUT, what usually happens is that I receive looks from my children akin to those that one would give if they saw another human with a third eye or a second head. Or the look one would get if they were watching me play at the farmer's market's peak time whilst wearing my underwear. I would be annoyed with their reaction if it wasn't so absolutely hysterical. We got home from the swimming pool today and I sent the kids to get showered and de-chlorined. I took a few minutes to myself to rock out with my tenor uke and play "Time for me to fly" by REO Speedwagon. My eyes were closed, I was kind of nodding my head back and forth..."Time for me to fly...I've got to set myself free...." and I look up to see two faces, mouths hanging open, looking at me like I had an extra limb.

Me: Do you want to sing with me? You've heard this song enough
Them: Um, do you know any Sam Smith? Imagine Dragons?
Me: Nope. I know some Mavericks and Elvis and Bruce Springsteen.
G: Do you know "Thunder Road"?
Me: I'm in the process of learning that one. Not quite there yet.
Them: When you learn that one, we'll revisit the subject.
Me: That's awfully big of you. Thanks.

I think that it is in the parent handbook to embarrass your children with a few crazy things here and there. Keeps them on their toes and always understanding that their parents have a level of crazy they don't ever want to test. I kid, a little bit. I don't seek to constantly embarrass my children, but if they make it an issue to the point of being obnoxious, you better believe I will seek out every outlet.

I've played a lot today and my fingertips are sore. Time for bed and no more typing for the day. Night all.




- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment