Sunday, May 18, 2014

Wrap up of yesterday

I thank the hub for posting for me last night. I was tired and enjoying a bit of time with my brother doing a post packaging event roundtable wrap up. I have never been so moved and excited about a non-birth/wedding event before. Yesterday morning, I met my brother and sister in law and Ralph from Stop Hunger Now to start unloading the truck. When I saw how big the truck was and how little was actually in it, I was anxious to see how we would get 20,000 meals out of what was in there. Each bag contains dehydrated veggies, soy supplement pieces, a Heinz nutritional packet and rice. There is enough in the bag to provide 6 meals. The unloading took place quickly and we got to work with the setup. By the time our first shift started, we had lots of people and some skeptical looks. We said a prayer, my brother turned some loud music on and we got to work. People weren't understanding why we had music on and were yelling and cheering at them...then Ralph brought out the gong. Each time we reached 1,000 meals bagged, someone rang a gong. I will say that some of our more seasoned citizens were not thrilled with the gong. If they expressed their displeasure, well, they got to ring it next. Ha. There were scooping stations and weighing stations and sealing stations and rice refillers and runners and stackers and boxers and prayers over the outgoing boxes. The most powerful thing to me was that as we sealed the boxes, we knew that when the boxes were opened it would be by those who would be eating the food. That is a emotionally heavy thing to contemplate. From being filled by our hands to filling their tummies. Humbling to say the least. In the span of two 1.5 hours sessions, we made enough bags to feed 20,000 people. Every time that gong rang, we got a little closer to making hunger something forthe history books. We cannot wait to do it again. Plans are already in the works.

Pray for the hub tomorrow. We are going in for a myelogram(sp) tomorrow morning. This will give them better pictures and ideas about what exactly will need to be done in surgery when they schedule it. Until then, we are hanging out in a hotel room watching television. Woohoo. Pray for our family as they have to navigate two of the busiest days of the year before summer break. When we pulled out of the driveway, G lost it. Bless her little tender heart. Everything will work out as it should. Just hard to be in this place right now.

Tomorrow I will tell you of the great vegetarian vs carnivore debate we heard at dinner tonight. Made you question the future. Until then, have a pleasant evening.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment