Thursday, May 8, 2014

A vat o' meds

So in the neverending saga of the Cook family and their Spring sinus issues, I took the boy back to the pediatrician today. After experiencing horrible pain in his ears and sinuses and continuing to sound like a TB patient, I had hit my limit of what I was going to allow that poor child to endure. His teacher was also concerned and glad to hear he was going back to the doc. When I picked him up after the conclusion of his lovely standardized testing, he joked that maybe he would go get kind of a status xray to see if he had ever passed the quarter he swallowed three years ago. Pessimist that I am, I told him not to get hopes up about an xray and loaded him up in the car. Well shame on me, mother with no vision or creativity. Instead of rushing to put him on a third antibiotic, they decided to xray his sinuses and see if they were impacted. He looked at me, pointed his finger, and said, "Really mom? I told you I'd get zapped today!". He did indeed. We went to Children's and went through the process to get registered. We sat in radiology and got him "zapped" in four different positions. He was uncomfortable because he was in weird positions and his head hurt so bad, but the Cookout milkshake made things a little easier to bear. Our nurse called later to say that he does indeed have impacted sinuses and is to start on a 21 day regimen of the horriblest of horrible tasting antibiotics. I almost gasped when they gave me the bottle of his meds and told me he would have to have a refill. Notice my glasses and how they compare to the bottle:



When the medicine comes with a 7 sentence paragraph warning to the pharmacy tech to urge the patient to flavor the medicine to cut the smell and taste, you flavor the medicine. I went one step further from the nurse's recommendation and gave him a spoonful of chocolate syrup to chase the meds. Just call me the awesome sister to Mary Poppins. Her spoonful of sugar has nothing on me. We just plan to yogurt and probiotic him up and keep that tummy of his happy.

All of this activity was very tiring and the boy went to sleep quickly. His sister, after an afternoon of playing comforter and nurse to her brother, conked out in a snowman down throw on top of her covers...a G-rrito:



Never dull here, friends. Never dull.
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment