Monday, November 18, 2013

Turning Sequoias and Sored Thumbed Boys

It has been a very busy afternoon with pick ups and classes and jazz shoe fittings. This is going to be the state of our Mondays for the time being, I suppose, so we will just have to make the best of it. I have been noticing for the past few days, that my vehicle has been coming up on a very important milestone in its ten years on this earth. As I saw it approaching quickly this evening, I felt the milestone needed to be documented for posterity. The kids, on the other hand, wanted to get out of said vehicle and go inside. This is what I was working with:



I tried to go up and back down the driveway several times. The kids begged to get out of the car. They did not understand the gravity of the milestone. So I released them out of the car and into the house with the hub. I drove around the block and up and down the driveway again. I know the neighbors thought I was crazier than usual. And then, after what seemed like 20 miles:



Happy Turning Day, Sequoia!

In other equally riveting news, the boy has had a sore thumb. He tends to rip the skin on the sides of his fingers, not unlike his mother. A broken nail that ripped down the side went bad. And when a 6 year old thinks he is a doctor, it makes things go bad. So pre-thumb surgery by the hub, his thumb looked like this:



Then the hub took tweezers and barely, and I mean barely, scraped the side of his thumb. The gore that escaped from his thumb made him scream. Lots of soaking and inspecting and soaking and stuffing of cotton under the nail happened. It still looks pretty awful, but we are hoping that it will look better tomorrow. All of us were trying to make jokes to make hime laugh and distract him from his pain and make the tears stop. He would start to giggle and then get mad and say, "You all are not understanding my pain...this is not a funny situation." That made us laugh harder. That kid is going to be a comedian someday.

Ending on a somewhat low note, G has been having trouble with some girls in class. One who says mean things and one who sits, knowing that it is wrong, and lets the girl have at her. Tonight G prayed for the girl to be her friend and that the girl will stop being mean to her. I pray that will happen. What an amazing heart that kid has.
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment