Monday, November 11, 2013

Gatti-land is not parent friendly

It has been a different day. Not bad, just different. The hub was off due to Veteran's Day, so we got to see each other for some quality time, you know, grout color selection at the Home Depot...for two. "Isn't it romantic...music in the night...". Since brevity is not my strong suit, I am going to do a list tonight in hopes that it will shut me up sooner.

1. My oldest and her soccer team won the championship in their particular soccer division. They were honored during halftime at the boy's basketball game tonight. I learned some things:
a. I knew there was a reason I didn't let her try out for the dance team. Skills they have, sure, but oversexualized dancing and pouty lipped seductive faces made me very uncomfortable. Creeped out? Yes.
b. I could never be the parent of a cheerleader...especially the flyer. I was so concerned that they were going to drop one of those kids, I needed nerve meds and none of them were mine. Besides that risk, the gym is so small it provides the perfect place for a tween boy to launch himself into one of said cheerleaders and get to second base without even meaning to do so. Awkward.
c. In regards to the after party for the soccer girls, I consider Mr. Gatti's maybe the 6th ring of hell as compared to Chuck E. Cheese's 3 or 4. Cold pizza with hair in it and playing $5 to get enough tickets for a Tootsie Roll a step smaller than a "midgie" is not my idea of haute cuisine. I am all for a good and fun celebration. Let's have it somewhere that parents can enjoy themselves and not go into the fetal position.

2. The hub and I went to the Depot to pick our grout color for the bathroom tile. Another experience that is not in my columns marked "Likes" or "Strengths". If someone would just give me three options that are acceptable, I would happily make a decision from three. This is the same reason why I should probably never build a house from the ground up. Too many decisions make me mentally turn to oatmeal.

3. I ask prayers for someone we are getting to know. His daughter is suffering from a rare form of cancer, She has beaten it once and will do it again. Such a burden for any person to bear, but they have such faith. My little quibbles seem so small in comparison. Hugging mine a little tighter tonight.

Night all. I will be up for a while after watching, against my better judgement, The Blacklist. Of course I turned on John Carpenter's The Thing to fold laundry and take a little snooze this afternoon, so clearly I am lacking in the good judgement department.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment