Thursday, November 14, 2013

Things I've learned today...or again

I've had kind of a lonely day today. Never been one to just call someone out of the blue and ask if they want to go to lunch, well except my brother and sister in law. Fear of rejection? Maybe. Just never been good at that, so I hang at home by myself a lot. I got some cooking and baking done and took some experimental pumpkin muffins to a friend stranded inside with a sick child. I looked at some shoes I couldn't afford. I spoke with a neighbor, went to the grocery and watched a TV show that no one else in the family would watch without great complaint. I looked at the clock...12:18. Good grief. This day is dragging on and I am going to lose my mind. I picked children up from school, helped the boy with homework and put my inaugural batch of homemade meatballs in the oven to bake. I went out and blew leaves and raked and froze my toes off. I had various other things going on and I was bummed that I couldn't go see a concert with my friend, A. I have helped with bath time drama, school drama sadness and little known African country research paper tedium During my different travels and cooking and whatnot, I learned, or relearned, some things. Here they are in no particular order.

1. Just because a recipe says "Easy to make" doesn't always mean it is going to taste good. Sometimes effort and multiple ingredients really are essential to make a tasty dish.

1a. Don't promise to bring a sampling of said recipe to people before you have tasted the final product. You don't want your cooking skills judged by a new awful recipe.

2. Meatballs are fun to make and the meatball sandwiches we had for dinner tonight were a big hit. My 9 yr old called them "Mini meatloaf ball sammiches". Whatever it takes to get them to eat.

3. No matter how many of your childrenhave gone through it and come out the other side, when mean girls start their BS it breaks your heart every time. I just want to hide my baby away and reason with the others. But I know that is a waste of my time. I thank God for parents who loved me through it many years ago and so appreciate the love they gave me.

4. When you work for a church, friends near and far assume that this means you immediately become an expert on church doctrine. Thank goodness I have patient pastor friends who patiently answer my questions and steer me in the right direction.

5. People are very possessive of their place in the pickup line at school. Because I had a day like I did, I got to school early and got the first spot in line. The Jetta that usually gets the spot was ANGRY. Oh well.

6. And the topper of the evening. When sitting in the tub and playing in the water, sometimes one gets bored and "great" ideas come in your head. When experimenting on how fast the drain works and what will slow it down, 4 is the number of soggy sheets of paper it takes before the tub will no longer drain water. Yes, I said paper in the tub. I don't want to talk about it anymore. Still shaking my head on that one.

Time for the evening to come to a conclusion soon, I hope. A research paper is due tomorrow on a country that has very little information available about it...at least here. I have a feeling tonight's episode of Scandal will be viewed tomorrow. Oh well. Nothing new.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment