Friday, November 15, 2013

The search officially begins...

Our beloved sweet puppy dog, Cosby, died June 23 of this year. It was her time and she was ready. Since then, we have navigated her loss in a bit of a fog. The house is so quiet and the habits of dog owners are hard to break. This morning, as I was cleaning up the crumbs from breakfast pumpkin muffins, I took the tablespoon of crumbs and turned to throw them in the dog bowl that wasn't there. I stood for a few minutes in the breakfast room, my breath gone, contemplating her loss like it was yesterday. My oldest has taken her loss the hardest as she was considered one of Cosby's pups and had been with her the longest of the children. The hub and I decided long before Cosby met her great reward that we would follow the lead of the children as to when we decided to start the search for a new companion. Some people worried that the kids would want a new puppy immediately, but I trusted their hearts. They have needed time as much or more than we have. So when S decided last month that she was ready to consider a new furry friend, we started online research. Yesterday, a friend sent me a picture of Rex, and English Lab mix who had been surrendered by his moving owner. His description called him a "leaner". I loved that. Sooo while the kids were in school, I paid old Rex a visit. He was leaning in his cage when I got there, looking bored and ready for some action. They took him outside so we could play for a bit. Bless his heart, he needed to lose a substantial amount of weight and was a bit of a mouthy guy. He never bit me, but he liked to taste my arms and hands with his whole mouth. We found a ball and played fetch for a bit. He faithfully brought the ball back every time, wearing out quickly due to the barrel he ate, based on his shape. He finally flopped down on the ground, eyes begging me to put the blasted ball down. As much as I wanted him to be the one to come home, I knew that we were not the right family for him. While I know he is totally trainable and can be free of his arm chewing habits, I feel that the kids would be too nervous around him during the training process. He will make someone an excellent pet. Sadly, just not ours.

Our journey has just begun and I know that we will find the right pup to join our family. It will be fun to play with a few litters before making a final decision. There could be worse jobs.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment