Sunday, November 3, 2013

Repair of great importance

So, as I have put on here from time to time, I sew. But unlike my friends D and A, I am not one who can sew any kind of clothing. I even took a beginner's sewing class to learn how to read and interpret the lingo on an actual dress pattern. I made two dresses, but I can't honestly tell you how that happened. Our instructor was nice, but she took the pattern as a mere suggestion and wanted me to do it her way. Because of this, I still don't know terms like "selvage" and think bias tape is created by the devil. But, I can sew creatures, puppets, bunnies and bears...and the occasional "Substitute Creature" hat. Okay I lied, I did make pants and a makeshift bathrobe for Walter and Jeff Lebowski dolls I made. Not the greatest example of my skilss, but they were awfully funny. Well, you can imagine my surprise when a little girl at church entrusted me with her doll baby "Dee" that she does not go to bed without. She is well into her elementary school career, so this doll is a serious companion. Dee's legs are full of batting, or polyfil of some kind, and they look like they are on their way to possibly falling off. So here is my chance to make her some little pants that will fit her nicely, look stylish and, most importantly, keep her legs on. And it needs to be done in a timely manner. This girl needs to be able to sleep and her companion needs to be by her side.

I feel honored and burdened to be the one to help her with the repair. I don't want to do anything that will injure or mar the sweet doll, but she will be different after the process. Often when we are entrusted with something of great importance to another, we feel the wieght of responsibilty and the honor of the trust. Just say a little pray I don't ruin this poor child's childhood by giving her doll pants that are not conducive to good sleep at night. Dolly "Dee" has a big job and needs to have her legs on right to up her game.

Enjoy your sleep. I will be int his bed wide awake and trying to figure out how to do the best surgery on her that I can. Eeek.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment