Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Call from the past

My heart is heavy for many people today. Illness and sadness and tragic loss has been heavy on the menu today. My troubles and complaints seem so very small. Facebook was usually my lifeline to keep up with and lend typed commentary support to those who I don't see often or don't live near going through these situations. Once I got off there, I kind of felt off the cliff of knowledge and was even more clueless than usual. Every once in a while, I send a text to some people to check on them and make sure life is going as smoothly as it can go. I sent one of those texts to my friend Wes just to check up. He sent back a text saying they were dealing with childhood illness issues. I sent him a brief synopsis of our Spring and the still unresolved uncertainty surrounding what all happened to S's body. Tonight I got a sweet phone call from him, checking up on her and telling me the scary story surrounding his child's health crisis. I, truly, had not spoken to him since the day we graduated from high school, more than ahem cough cough years ago. It was nice to trade ideas and concern as parents and grown ups, not in English class together, but as people well past the immaturity of high school. I appreciate so much his and his wife's concern for our child and feel the same for his. In the midst of the negativity I feel towards lots of the aspects of social media, I am grateful for the support it gives during times of fear, of worry, of joy and of sorrow.

Say a prayer, hug the special special people in your life. Life is just too short.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment